Created By: Pulaski County Tourism Bureau & Visitors Center
The St. Robert Historical Preservation Committee is raising funds for the U.S.O. Chimney Commemorative Memorial. To learn more or to donate contact: City of Saint Robert, 451.2000.
Ground breaking ceremony was held Jul 11 2017. The image shows the plans for the memorial.
A campaign to establish the U.S.O. in the Fort Leonard Wood area began in March 1941. The military was still segregate, thus calling for separate clubs for white and colored Soldiers. On March 8, 1942, a dedication ceremony was held to celebrate the new U.S.O. Club for colored Soldiers. The club waas located on Route 17, just outside of Fort Leonard Wood main gate.
In 1943, the colored U.S.O. was placed under the direction of the Salvation Army were it remained until the desegregation of the military in the late 1940s.
The building was changed to the Chimney Trailer Park and later the Chimney Pawn and Gun until the building was torn down. Mr. Carney of Rolla, used the building materials to build part of the Manor Inn in Rolla. The land was bought by Earl Livingston in 1951.
The U.S.O. chimney was left standing until 2010, when the heir to Mr. Livingston donated the chimney to the City of St Robert.
Courtesy of Terry Primas, (2005)
Old Settlers Gazette
This point of interest is part of the tour: Pulaski County USA Heroes Tour