Created By: Licking County Library
This downtown landmark was originally built in 1903 with the label of “Union” determined through a public contest to provide the structure with a name. The 22,000 square foot building opened with the Powers-Miller department store and several other businesses, as well as an elaborate ballroom on the second floor, but its celebrated opening was cut short. In December 1903 a fire struck Union Block. The structure was damaged but survived. After a few months of renovations, the stores reopened in 1904. For more than a century it has been an important anchor to the downtown commercial district. The longest lasting tenant was Stewart Brothers Furniture Company, which was located in the building for 86 years, from 1906 to 1992.
Image 1: Exterior of the Union Block in 1904 with its distinctive columns and arches.
Image 2: Scene from one of the Union Blocks stores in 1904.
Image 3: Display at the Union Music Co., one of the Block's stores present at its opening in 1903.
Image 4: Advertisement for Powers-Miller department store, the Block's flagship store when it opened.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Newark Downtown Walking Tour