Created By: Downtown Ithaca Alliance
306 N. Aurora St. - The Church of Christian Unity was founded by Ezra Cornell and other community members in 1865; they worshipped for two decades inside a wood frame building erected on East Buffalo Street in 1872-3. That building was destroyed by a fire, and construction began in 1893 for a new First Unitarian Church, designed by William H. Miller, the architect of the earlier building. This Romanesque Revival church is known for its prominent spire, added at the insistence of Charles White, a churchgoer who wanted the church to attract the attention of commuting Cornell students.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Architectural Walking Tour of Downtown Ithaca