Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
The Church of Christian Unity was founded by Ezra Cornell and other community members in 1865; they worshipped for two decades inside a wood-frame building that had been erected on East Buffalo Street in 1872-73. That building was destroyed by a fire, and construction began in 1893 for a new First Unitarian Church designed by William H. Miller, who was also the architect of the earlier building. This Romanesque Revival church is known for its prominent spire, added at the insistence of Charles White, a churchgoer who wanted the church to attract the attention of commuting Cornell students.
For Mary Tomlan's take on the Unitarian Church, click on the "Play Audio" link above.
If you would like to go inside the church, check with the office first. It is open on weekdays from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM, except during the summers, when hours are sporadic.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Downtown Ithaca Architectural Tour