Created By: Riverview Memory Gardens
This 1838 structure was originally located in the heart of Defiance on the Miami- Erie Canal, but was later moved to Jackson Street, just south of the Chief Supermarket, at that canal lock. The lock-keeper and his family lived in the home and operated the adjoining lock. The Miami-Erie came through Defiance in 1843 and travelled south to Junction, OH where it met up with the Wabash and Erie Canal. Railroads came through the area in the late 1800's and offered strong competition to the canals. The 1913 Flood decimated the canal system and permanently ended the dwindling canal commerce. The structure was donated by Virginia Lenhart in memory of her father, Gale Vaughn. It was moved in 1970 but not renovated until recent years.
This point of interest is part of the tour: AuGlaize Village Tour