Created By: individual
421 Cove Road, Pennsauken
The tavern was erected sometime during the last decade of the 18th century and was acquired by Thomas Bowne, a Philadelphia ship joiner. Bowne sold the property in 1813 to the Tammany Pea Shore Fishing Company, a sociakk club, which erected their clubhouse and kitchen building on the river bank. The area became known as Fish House Cove. The tavern building was sold in 1867 to Emily G, Vennell. Between 1888 and 1891, Isaac Vennell opened the Fish House Hotel in the building.
During the twentieth ccentury, the area fell into decline, buildings were demolished, and the tavern building became vacant. It still awaits restoration.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Camden County History Tour