Created By: PocketSights
Lined with stately homes and several University offices, Walnut Place is home to SU Abroad, Syracuse University Counseling Center, Slutzker Center for International Services, Hillel Center for Jewish Life, and Alibrandi Catholic Center. Several fraternity and sorority homes also line the long green.
Construction Began:Prior to 1901
First Purchased by SU:1943Cost:$8,729
Sold to Kappa Phi Delta:1989
Repurchased by SU:January 2002Cost:$215,000
The former home of Dr. Ensign McChesney, Dean of the College of Fine Arts, 1899-1905, the property originally included a barn. It later served as McChesney Cottage, a women's residence. In 1943, the residents, along with women from four other cottages, had to relocate to other living quarters in order to accommodate incoming Army air crew students. In 1989 the house was sold to Kappa Phi Delta fraternity, only to be repurchased in 2002 by SU when the chapter closed.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Syracuse University Campus Tour