Created By: Hannibal Square Heritage Center
The Ward Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church is located on 160 S Pennsylvania Avenue in Winter Park, Florida. It is the first African Methodist Episcopal church organized in Winter Park and was organized by Presiding Bishop Rev. T. M. D. Ward in 1893. Founding fathers include Misters Washington Steven Slaughter, Charles Brookins, Ghent, Horton, Lampkin, Israel Richardson, Walter Simpson, Major Smith, and Wilson. While the structure was built on Pennsylvania Avenue in 1983, it was later demolished and reconstructed on Pennsylvania and Welbourne Avenues. The current Pastor is Reverend John D. Williams, Sr.
The church has various services, resources and groups including counseling services, the Women of Ward group, Sarah’s Kitchen, Food Pantry, the Health and Wellness Committee, the Marriage Ministry, and the Transportation Ministry.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Hannibal Square Heritage Center Tour