Created By: Jones House
The current courthouse is the fourth courthouse building for Watauga County. Completed in 1968, the building was originally set back from the street, but the front addition was completed in 1982. The original courthouse, which burned down in 1873, was located at the site where the Linney House is now located. The second courthouse was constructed in 1875 at the northwest corner of King and Water Streets, roughly where the parking lot for the Administration Building is. The third courthouse was constructed in 1905 at the site of the current courthouse. It was demolished and replaced with the current courthouse. The current courthouse complex also includes a WPA-funded building as part of its annex. The WPA building was completed in 1939 and housed the Watauga County Library from 1946 through 1997.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Boone Walking Tour