Created By: Myrtle Creek Historical Society
The Weaver building at 205 N.Main St is the largest brick building in town and was constructed for Ike and Cleo Weaver around 1910-1912 (about the same time as the Moore building). Old photographs of the Weaver building show a very attractive brick facade with storefronts facing both Main St and Second Ave. But alas, the brick has been painted, windows, doors & awnings have been altered, and the second story has remained boarded up since a devastating fire in 1950. The extensive fire involved this building and all others along this side of Second Avenue and along Oak St, displacing over 15 businesses, most of which never reopened.
At one time a meat market and Myrtle Drug occupied the first floor facing Main St. with 2 retail shops facing Second Ave. The second story was divided into office space for doctors, lawyers and realtors. Between 1922 and 1926 the second story was used as a hotel. Ida Weaver was proprietor of “Myrtle Hotel”. In 1943, Dr. Vern Adams and Zola Strong McGinnis operated a maternity hospital on second floor.
J.E. Creason was first owner of the Myrtle Drug Store, which was located on the corner. The business changed hands a few times and sold to Ted Rice in 1936. It was Mr Rice that moved Myrtle Drug across Second Ave to the Citizens State Bank building in 1947 (when the bank relocated to what is now U.S. Bank). After that, the Terminal Cafe (later Rollie’s Cafe) operated a soda fountain and Greyhound bus depot at the corner. History tells us that Shirley Temple stopped there for a soda while traveling.
Photo 1 Weaver building circa 2014
Photo 2 Weaver building in early years
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historical Sites Downtown Myrtle Creek