Created By: Cornell Lab of Ornithology
The story of Sapsucker Woods (SSW) begins with the arrival and settlement of Europeans in 1789 and by 1830-1840 the area had become an isolated woodlot. It was spared clearing for agriculture due to the area’s unsuitable soil types. Specifically, drainage made conditions too wet to be profitable for farming crops. Instead, the land was used for grazing and logging, but at a small scale. Arthur Allen visited SSW in June of 1909 and was immediately inspired by the areas biological diversity. He began his search for support to conserve the area from future resource extraction, and in 1953 Sapsucker Woods Sanctuary was preserved through purchases and donations of land. Today Sapsucker Woods is comprised of 220 acres of natural reserve and 4 miles of beautiful hiking trails.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Sapsucker Woods Through the Seasons: Fall/Winter