Created By: ULSARA
Litton Hall was designed by Albert Murray and built through the generosity of a solicitor named John Litton who lived in Leeson Street and left a legacy when he died in 1877 to build a hall. The church and its buildings contributed greatly to the social life of the area and the lovely little Litton Hall has been the scene for over a century of meetings, plays, exhibitions, gatherings, sales of work and many such activities.
The 6th South Dublin Leeson Park Scout Troop (SAI) have had their headquarters in Litton Hall since their foundation in 1907. One of the first scout troops in Ireland, they are the only troop to have continued from their foundation to the present day without any break. In 1977 one of the first Beaver sections in Ireland formed in the 6th Leeson Park troop and in 1982 they became one of the first on the south side of the city to enrol girls. The playwright, Denis Johnston, was one of the first scouts and attended the 75th anniversary celebrations in 1982.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Upper Leeson Street Area Dublin Walking Tour