Created By: Preservation Greensboro
The West Market Street Methodist Church was constructed in 1893 to plans by architect S. W. Foulk of New Castle, Pennsylvania. Theater-plan sanctuary and Akron-plan Sunday School arrangement could accommodate 2,000 worshippers. Sixty-eight stained glass windows were recycled from the German Pavilion at the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago. The Richardsonian Romanesque form includes round-arched windows and entry points, a handsome granite base, substantial masonry walls, use of rounded walls and turrets, and a complex hipped roof punctuated by gables. Private.
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque. Listed to the National Register of Historic Places in December 1985.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Center City Greensboro Historic Architecture