Created By: Douglas T Stiff
This heritage property, designated in 2003, was constructed in 1902 by Edward and Albert Murphy for their father, William, who ran a local ice and cartage business. The house is an early example of year-round residence, compared to the dominant trend of summer cottage construction and residency in Britannia Village at the time. The Murphy Brothers constructed many of the local cottages during the boom in Britannia’s popularity as a summer resort in early 1900. The heritage plaque notes: “This modest house features brick voussoirs, label moulds and stringcourses” (City of Ottawa, 2003).
This point of interest is part of the tour: Britannia Village History