Baldock Sights - Part 2

Baldock Sights - Part 2

Baldock Sights - Part 2

Baldock, England SG7 6AR, United Kingdom

Created By:

Tour Information

This is the second short walk in the Baldock Sights Series.

Baldock is a historic market town in North Hertfordshire, England, it was once a centre for malting and a regional brewing centre. It maintained a large number of pubs throughout the 20th century. In fact, the 1881 census shows that Baldock was home to 30 drinking establishments, which is impressive considering the town’s population at the time was just 1900.

This series of tours will take you to the sites of all the known pubs, hotels and drinking establishments of Baldock, many of which are now closed with little evidence remaining of their existence.

The walks start and finish at the BAHC (Baldock Arts and Heritage Centre), which is run by a group of local volunteers, more information about Baldock local history can be found there.

Tour Map

Loading Tour


What You'll See on the Tour


Start the walk
The George at Baldock (George & Dragon)

First recorded in 1591; this is assumed to be the inn visited in 1655 by George Fox, founder of the Society of Friends, as travelling Quakers continued to use it. In 1777 it was bought by John Pryor, the brewer. It was a busy coaching inn w... Read more
The Pretty Lamp (Closed)

The Pretty Lamp was at number 6 Church Street, but is now a private house.
The Victoria

First opened in 1736 as the Sun but was renamed the Victoria Inn in 1887 to celebrate Queen Victoria's Jubilee, demolished and rebuilt in 1925.
The Saracens Head (Closed)

The Saracens Head closed in 1905 now demolished.
Plume of Feathers (closed)

Closed in 1902 - site of Barclays Bank
The Rose & Crown

The Rose & Crown
The Greyhound (closed)

The Greyhound pub was better known as the Rose and Crown Tap. It is now shops (Sue Ryder and possibly Ladbrokes) 
The Checkers (Closed)

Please note that the usual spelling of this pub’s name was the Checkers as seen in the old pubsign in the photo and at the time of its closure in the 1990s. This pub closed in around 1990 and is now in commercial use
The White Horse Hotel (closed)

The White Horse Hotel burnt down in the 1900's but some still remains as private houses (37 and 39 Whitehorese Street) This coaching inn, with its principal entrance in Whitehorse Street, was for better class travellers and the Royal Mail c... Read more
Old White Horse

The Old White Horse pub stands in the yard of the old White Horse Inn and is thought to have been its "tap" or public bar. It is thought to have been built on the site of the former Falcon Inn which is known to have existed in the early 1... Read more
Tabot Inn

The building is now called Raban Court but these 16th Century buildings were once an inn called the Talbot. The Talbot was a hunting dog and the open fields to the east of the town were famed for hunting and coursing. The dog also featured ... Read more
The Toll Bar

Now a private house
The Engine

Sorry, there wasn't any information provided for this point of interest.
The Compasses

Now a private house
The Bushel and Strike (Closed)

The Bushel and Strike, built about 1870, is now a private house.
The Eight Bells (Closed)

The first record of the 'The Eight Bells' was in 1727. It closed down on Monday the 5th of September 1969 and after lying derelict for a numver of years was sold by owners Greene King in 1977 as a private house. Now a private house ...
The Star (Closed)

This pub was the brewery tap for the Pale Ale Brewery located behind the pub. The brewery  was established in 1823 and closed in 1904. The pub passed to Wells & Winch of Biggleswade, they rebuilt it in the 1930s. Greene King took i... Read more
The Bulls Head (closed)

The Bull’s Head (50 Church Street) is now a private house. It is a 16th or 17th century timber-framed building, of two storeys and attics and with a steeply pitched tiled roof.      
The Stag (Closed)

The Stag was demolished in 1970.
The Black Eagle (Closed)

Cosed in 1984 then demolished in 1992.
The Orange Tree

Sorry, there wasn't any information provided for this point of interest.
Khoi Khoi Bar and Vino

Opened in 1981 renamed Khoi Khoi Bar and Vino in 2016, this former house was known as the Vintage Wine Bar in the early 1980's, then Dillons Wine Bar, before being renamed The Broken Drum in 1997.
The White Hart

The pub was first mentioned in 1714 but has been rebuilt since then.
BAHC Finish

Sorry, there wasn't any information provided for this point of interest.


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to