E. Hill Turnock Architectural Tour (Aqua Tour)

​Welcome to the Elkhart Architectural Tour, featuring residences and public buildings designed by Elkhart’s own, E. Hill Turnock

E. Hill Turnock Architectural Tour (Aqua Tour)

Elkhart, Indiana 46514, United States

Created By: PocketSights Ruthmere Tours

Tour Information

Welcome to the Elkhart Architectural Tour, featuring residences and public buildings designed by Elkhart’s own, E. Hill Turnock. Turnock was born in London, England in 1857. He and his family traveled to the United States in 1872 and settled in Elkhart. In 1884, at the age of thirty, Turnock studied at the Art Institute of Chicago. He worked under architect William LeBarron Jenney until opening his own private architectural practice in Chicago. In 1907, Turnock returned to Elkhart, planning to retire due to his failing health. Instead, he was commissioned for numerous homes, factories, and public buildings. He later became president of the City Plan Commission, president of the Indiana Society of Architects, and a member of the American Institute of Architects. Turnock died in July 1926, though his legacy still lives on today with many of his surviving structures throughout Indiana and Illinois.

PLAY AUDIO


Tour Map

Loading Tour

 

What You'll See on the Tour

1
Ruthmere Museum

Ruthmere Museum is located at 302 East Beardsley Avenue. Ruthmere, built between 1908 and 1910, combines the formality of Beaux-Arts style with the functional elements of Midwest Prairie School architecture. Turnock used American building m... Read more
2
Saint Paul’s Church

Saint Paul’s Church is located at 405 West Beardsley. Built in 1910, Saint Paul’s was designed in the twentieth century Gothic Revival style. The structure features grey brick with Bedford limestone trim, and E. Hill Turnock’s signa... Read more
3
The Beardsley Memorial

The Beardsley Memorial is located at the point of the intersection of Beardsley and Riverside Avenue. The Memorial was commissioned by Albert Beardsley in 1914 to honor his late uncle, Doctor Havilah Beardsley, founder of the city of Elkhar... Read more
4
The Harter House

The Harter House located at 760 Riverside Avenue. The Harter House was built in 1913 and was featured that year in an issue of Western Architecture magazine. The structure is a symmetrical, two-story home that features E. Hill Turnock’s s... Read more
5
The Conrad Ziesel residence

The Conrad Ziesel residence is located at 515 Riverside Avenue. The house highlights the Colonial Revival style of architecture. This two-story residence features a more formal recessed entrance with a decorative balconet overhead. Turnock... Read more
6
The former residence of E. Hill Turnock

The former residence of E. Hill Turnock is located at 417 Prospect Street. Although Turnock did not design this second empire style home, he and his wife lived here for several years before moving to Washington Street, while his children co... Read more
7
302 West Jackson Boulevard

Another home designed by Turnock is located at 302 West Jackson Boulevard. This one and a half story bungalow was built between 1910 and 1912 and features E. Hill Turnock’s signature tile roof. The residence has been maintained to its ori... Read more
8
The Winchester Mansion

The Winchester Mansion is located at 529 South Second Street. The residence features Turnock’s affinity for dark brick complimented by dark mortar, balanced symmetry, and limestone decorative details. Your next stop is the Municipal Bu... Read more
9
The Municipal Building

The Municipal Building is located on the northwest corner of High and Second Streets. Turnock designed three of the four corners, which included the Municipal Building that is still standing, and the since demolished Elkhart High School on... Read more
10
The YWCA, also known as the Lexington Building

The YWCA, also known as the Lexington Building, is located on the northeast block of the Lexington Avenue and Second Street. The three-story Young Women’s Christian Association building was erected under the direction of Turnock between 1... Read more
11
The City Water Works Building

The City Water Works Building is located on the northeast corner of Lexington Avenue and Main Street. Built in 1910, the City Water Works building was designed by E. Hill Turnock. He chose to feature limestone, a red tile roof, and arched w... Read more
12
The Kuespert House

The Kuespert House is located at 149 Division Street. The Kuespert House is considered the most fully recognized design by Turnock. The one and a half story linear design features a red tile roof, arched windows, dark masonry brick, decorat... Read more

 

Leave a Comment

 


 

Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide

 


 

Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.