Created By: Ruthmere
Beardsley is Elkhart's most prominent name. Since the early 1830's, when the first settler of the family, Havilah Beardsley, purchased land from Potawatomi chief Pierre Moran, the family has made a lasting impression within the community of Elkhart. Havilah and his many ancestors, who lived in the region, all contributed economically, socially, and politically to Northern Indiana, and even some had a lasting effect on the world. The Blue Tour features Havilah's historic home, built in 1848 and renovated by his son, Elkhart's second mayor James Rufus, in 1874. It is Elkhart's oldest brick structure, and a focal point of the entrepreneurial spirit present in Elkhart since the days of its construction.
Also on the Blue Tour, stop by Ruthmere Mansion. Built in 1908-1910, this was the home of Albert and Elizabeth Beardsley designed by English architect E. Hill Turnock. You might also stop by the Beardsley Flour Mill, Creek House, or one of the other numerous sites in the area used, built, or frequented by members of the Beardsley family.
This Tour has been sponsored by Wellfield Botanic Gardens, located at 1011 North Main Street, Elkhart, IN.