"Old Main" Campfire Ring

Camp Wilderness: Historic Trails

"Old Main" Campfire Ring

Park Rapids, Minnesota 56470, United States

Created By: North Dakota State University


The very first campfire at Camp Wilderness was held at Old Main. The exact date of this isn't really known, talking to older more seasoned campers the History Committee determined that it must have been approximately 1946 through the mid-1950s. A central campfire was located at this site with log seating forming a circle with a twenty-foot diameter. This provided enough seating for the camp in the early days, but as Scouting in the area grew more and more Scouts started coming to Wilderness. In 2010 a new location was established for campfires.

Old Main was used three times a week by resident campers. It was used for the opening, commissioner, and closing campfires. Campfires were accompanied by songs, skits, and run-ons.

This point of interest is part of the tour: Camp Wilderness: Historic Trails


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.