Created By: New Bedford Preservation Society
29 Union Street, Benjamin Taber Building, 1792 Federal Style
The Benjamin Taber Building was built in 1792 as a two-story double-house in the Federal style. Taber, a boat builder and block maker, bought the lot in 1765 from Gideon Mosher, who had earlier bought it from Joseph Russell. It was the sale of lots from Russell's homestead farm that initiated the development of Bedford Village. Taber, credited with having built the first whale boat in the village, constructed the building as a home for his son, Daniel, on one side, with the other half for his stepdaughter, Lydia Bunker. Lydia lived here with her husband, Shubael Bunker, a merchant and trader. Daniel Taber, possibly the first male child born in the village, lost his half for nonpayment of taxes in 1820. Lydia and Shubael Bunker’s daughter, also named Lydia, married David R. Greene in 1816. David Greene altered the building in the 1820s, raising the house and adding stores on the first floor. Sylvanus Nye, produce and grocery dealer, is listed at this location from 1829 to 1855, occupying the ground floor commercial space. Today the building has commercial space on the first floor with residential space above.
This point of interest is part of the tour: New Bedford Pathways: Tour #4 Waterfront Historic District