Created By: New Bedford Preservation Society
48 North Water Street, c. 1832, Federal Style with Greek Revival Details
Constructed by William Rotch, Jr. circa 1832, the Rotch building was built in the Federal style with Greek Revival details. There is a semi-elliptical window within the gable and details such as sidelights, transom, six-over-six light window sash, engaged pilasters around the entry, cornice returns, and splayed lintels. The building was first occupied by Samuel King, a merchant of nautical instruments. During the nineteenth century, the building was also occupied by an auctioneer and insurance agents. In the 20th century, the building houses a cotton brokerage, tobacco and cigar wholesaler, grocery wholesaler, and junk dealer. Today the building houses commercial offices.
This point of interest is part of the tour: New Bedford Pathways: Tour #4 Waterfront Historic District