Created By: New Bedford Preservation Society
The house at the northeast corner of Walden and Maxfield Streets is the Greek Revival built around 1840 as the second residence for Thomas Durfee. The wide corner boards, the squared window surrounds, and the wide central entry exemplify Greek Revival style. The thin sidelights
and dental course above the door, however, are of a more Federal style. Durfee moved from Fall River in 1831, shortly after the death of his first wife and immediately before marrying Delight Sherman of Dartmouth. A son of his second marriage was Zabeth Sherman Durfee. Zabeth was trained as a blacksmith by his father but later became an iron and steel manufacturer whose improvements in steel led to cheaper methods for its processing.
This point of interest is part of the tour: New Bedford Pathways Tour #5: North Bedford Historic District Tour