Created By: Visit Carlton
In early 1914, a Southern Pacific Railroad-Oregon Agricultural College demonstration train stopped in Carlton. Inspired to increase agricultural cooperation, local dairymen organized a stock company to raise funds for a creamery at Carlton. Eager to realize the benefits to the community, the city donated the property for the building.
The Carlton Farmers Creamery Co. produced butter from local milk. In the 1920s and 1930s, it’s Carlton Cream Rose butter won many awards at the Oregon State Fair. By 1938, The cooperative moved to a new, larger facility in McMinnville. After a short period as a secondhand store, the building was purchased by the Bernards Madsen Grain company in 1950. In use by the Madsen Grain Company until 2003, it served over the years as storage, office space, or retail space. Since 2006, it has been used as a wine tasting room.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Carlton Historical Tour