Created By: New Bedford Preservation Society
The house at 105 Hillman Street was built in 1833. Its first owner was cordwainer (a shoemaker) Caleb Bryant. Its three-quarter width, gable end chimney placement, and splayed window caps are the same as the house adjacent; only the half-round window above the door sets it apart from its neighbor. The entry is framed by tall, plain imposts atop slightly swelling pilasters. The assemblage here is typical of the Federal style which survived in carpenter’s pattern books well into the 19th century.
This point of interest is part of the tour: New Bedford Pathways Tour #5: North Bedford Historic District Tour