Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
This unusual structure was originally the barn on Edward Wyckoff's estate on Thurston Avenue. Built in 1898, it was moved to its present location around 1912 and remodeled into apartments for businesspeople and professionals.
As reported in an article in the Ithaca Daily Journal, written when the building was under construction, the barn measured fifty feet by sixty-seven feet and contained a basement and sub-basement. The basement was intended as a horse room with four single stalls, four box stalls, a heating room, and a carriage house. The sub-basement was to be used for cows. In harmony with the Wyckoff mansion, the upper part of the barn was to be designed in the Colonial Revival style and was to contain a parlor, three bedrooms, a kitchen, and a bathroom--all presumably for the stable hands. The rear part was designed to be used as a hay loft.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Cornell Heights Historic District Driving Tour