Created By: Coleman Memorial Museum
111 Main—Rath Optometry / Helder’s Barber Shop
For most of its history, Ellendale has had several barber shops. Helder’s on Main Street was one of the most popular.
The Helder Brothers, Francis (Pete), Bernard (Buck), Daniel (Danny) and John (Jack), came to Ellendale from Conde, SD in 1924 and purchased a building from the Brown Estate. The west half of the building would become Helder’s Barber Shop and the east half was purchased by Mr. Fred Kuni, who established a jewelry store there.
Three of the brothers left prior to and during the war, but Jack stayed. His wife, Alice, operated a Beauty Shop in the north end of the business. This section was sold in the 1950's. They lived in Ellendale the rest of their lives, Jack passing away in 1953. Alice rented the shop out for a few years, and it was sold in about 1963-65. Jack and Alice had one son, John (Jack) Helder.
Dr. Rath's Optometrist practice began in Ellendale in August of 1981. Originally he was in partnership with longtime Oakes, ND optometrist Dr. Lloyd Reneir. Dr. Renier retired in 1986 and Dr. Rath continues to practice in Ellendale today. Complete family eye care is provided including examinations, glasses, all types of contact lenses and the treatment of eye diseases. (125th, p. 49)
This point of interest is part of the tour: Ellendale - Tour of the Core City