Created By: New Bedford Preservation Society
112 Cottage Street , Rotch Gothic Cottage Addition 1857
The Rotch Gothic Cottage Addition was built in 1857 for William Rotch by the Boston architect, William Ralph Emerson. Emerson is best known to architectural historians as one of the originators of the Shingle Style later in the century, however, the obvious need to coordinate his addition with the pre-existing Alexander Jackson Davis design over-ruled his innovative instincts here. This house was separated from the W. J. Rotch house soon after 1883 and moved to its present site at 113 Cottage Street.
This point of interest is part of the tour: New Bedford Pathways: Tour #1 New Bedford, More Than Colonials