Created By: Ithaca Heritage
This beautiful brick Italianate home was built in 1869. Notable are the cast-iron hoods and sills around the windows, the scrolled wood brackets of the portico, the dentils (tooth-like ornamentation) of the cornice, and the cupola. It was built for Albert Philips, a tailor and purveyor of men's clothing. Only three years later it was sold to William Wyckoff (1835-1895), a major producer of Remington typewriters and manager of secretarial schools whose son was a developer of the Cornell Heights neighborhood. A third family, that of hardware store and agricultural warehouse owner Clement T. Stephens (1849-1908), owned the building into the 1930s.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Henry St. John District Historic Walking Tour