Created By: New Bedford Preservation Society
130 Arnold Street, Henry Bliss House 1835, Cape Cottage Style
Henry Bliss was born in New Bedford on June 21, 1816, and married Ellen Akin. He was a housewright by trade, and worked for Moses H. Bliss at 38 Russell Street for several years. Later he worked as a carpenter. A son, William Bliss, lived here and worked as a clerk. The Bliss family lived in the house for several years before buying it from the William Rotch Estate in 1870. The Bliss family lived in this house until 1928.
This 1 ½-story house has a rectangular ground plan with a side ell that encompasses a porch. The front façade exhibits a center entrance with a transom light above, flanked on either side by two windows of six over six sash. Cornice moldings and corner boards are simple, as are the window surrounds. There is a small front porch with steps and a balustrade that runs perpendicular to the front door. There is a gabled side porch with a balustrade supported by single columns.
This point of interest is part of the tour: New Bedford Pathways: Tour #1 New Bedford, More Than Colonials