Created By: Coleman Memorial Museum
141 Main - Sanford Health Clinic / Roy & Guy Lynde Chrysler Garage
The Lynde Chrysler Garage, built after the 1916 fire that destroyed the entire north side of this block, also housed the medical practice of Dr. Roy Lynde, who served Ellendale as a physician from 1905 until his death in 1962.
Prior to the 1916 fire, this corner was the site of the Security Bank, whose name was changed to the Citizens bank when it was owned by F.E. Cawley. The property was owned by W.L. Briley, B.R. Crabtree and the First National Bank.
Construction on the Lynde’s Garage was completed in early 1926. The two-story building had an automobile showroom and offices in the front, while the Dakota Telephone Exchange occupied the north end of the lot.
Also located on the main floor was a work and storage room, reception rooms, office, a survey, and living quarters. A full basement provides space for heating equipment and storage. Later, Doc had an outdoor shelter just west of the garage for his fine collection of birds.
Roy and Guy Lynde’s dealership was one of the original Chrysler franchises. An advertisement in 1929 also offered Hupmobile autos for sale The brothers built two automobiles, both of which were sold and registered as Lynde cars, serial numbers 1 and 2.
After Doc’s death in 1962, the building housed an auto parts store, a grocery store and Harry Linder’s TV store. The original Chrysler garage area is now home to the Sanford Health Clinic. North of that is a showroom for the True Value and further north is the present office of the Dickey County Leader.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Ellendale - Tour of the Core City