Created By: Sandwich Historical Commission
Nancy’s grandfather, Rev. Benjamin Fessenden, served as the Sandwich town minister from 1725 to 1746. In 1729 his supporters built him a home here at 149 Main Street. After he died, his son William (Nancy's father) converted the home into the Fessenden Tavern. Ironically, William was himself a teetotaler. During the Revolution the tavern was known as headquarters for the Patriots.
The property remained an inn over the years, changing its name to Smith’s Tavern, Mansion House, Central House and (in 1915) the Daniel Webster Inn. Webster was a US Senate orator who frequented the area to hunt and fish. He was such a prominent and regular visitor that he had a room reserved for him from 1815 to 1851. The original building was destroyed by fire in 1971 and today's Dan'l Webster Inn was built on the site. You have been able to buy a pint at this spot for over 225 years!
This point of interest is part of the tour: Sandwich Historical Properties Tour