Created By: New Bedford Preservation Society
18 North Water Street, Captain Cornelius Howland, c. 1810
The Cornelius Howland Building is at 18 North Water Street, at the corner of Rose Alley, is a circa 1810. Howland bought the land in 1792, and it is possible that the building was constructed soon thereafter. The first floor storefront was altered during the 19th century and the entrance may have originally fronted Rose Alley. In the 1830s, it was used as a boarding house, while after 1845 it served as the offices and warehouse for John Baylies and Timothy Ingraham, commission merchants. From 1852 to 1896, the building was used by tinsmith Stephen A. Tripp. Although Mr. Howland died before 1845, the property remained part of his estate until April 1896. Today the building houses offices of a local attorney.
This point of interest is part of the tour: New Bedford Pathways: Tour #4 Waterfront Historic District