Created By: Worthington Historical Society
Images: 1) Adams-Bishop-Heath House, 2) Uriah Heath
The original owners of this c. 1817-1818 home, Demas and Susan Adams, most likely ran this property as a boarding house associated with the Kilbourn's nearby “Worthington Hotel” and for students attending the Worthington Academy. In 1830 Adams sold the property to William Bishop, a saddler, and prominent member of the Methodist Church.
When Bishop moved from this site to operate the “Bishop House” (Worthington Inn) in 1854, he sold the home to Rev. Uriah Heath, a Methodist minister. Heath advocated for the freeing of enslaved people which led to his role in raising funds to establish Wilberforce College (est. 1856), the nation’s oldest private, historically Black University owned and operated by African Americans. He was also an agent for the Tract Society of the Methodist Conference, and discussed his concerns that free Blacks and retired Methodist ministers should have a place they could own their own home. He was instrumental in developing Worthington’s first residential subdivision, the Morris Addition, on the southeast side of the original village. (Learn more at stop 8).
This point of interest is part of the tour: African American History in Worthington