Created By: Coleman Memorial Museum
200 Main - Ellendale Masonic Lodge
Ellendale Masonic Lodge #13 is Ellendale's longest surviving community organization having received its Charter on June 12, 1883. At that time, it was known as Ellendale Lodge #49 A.E & A.M. of Dakota Territory. When Dakota Territory was divided into states, the Charter was endorsed in 1889 to Ellendale Lodge #13 A.E & A.M. under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of North Dakota.
The Lodge owes its origins to nine Brother Master Masons that had settled in Ellendale and decided to start a Lodge in their new community. The nine charter members were: Theodore N. Larson, James A. Scott, Ebenezer P. Perry, Frank B. Gannon, Hans M. Bergendahl, William Worlds, John Wheelihan, Marcellus E. Randall and John S. Lanney. Four petitions for membership were received at the second meeting of the fledgling organization from Alexander D. Flemington, Robert Wells, Thomas Sefton and W.H. Becker.
Brother Flemington was the first to be raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason by the Ellendale Lodge. Their first meetings were held on the second floor of a building erected by Wesley Moran in which the Dickey County Leader was published. In 1887, the Leader was sold to E.J. Moore and E.S. Goddard. They needed the second floor to use as a residence, so the Lodge meetings were moved to the second story of the Model Drug Store owned by Dr. Osborn which was located on the site where the current Masonic Lodge building is situated. In 1888, the Lodge moved once again, this time to a newly erected building that was located where the present Corner Corral is located. The second floor was used not only by the Masons as their Lodge, but also by two other fraternal organizations, the Odd Fellows and the Workmen. This remained the Masons home until 1913 at which time the Lodge moved once again, this time to a room located on the third floor of the Opera House.
On July 6, 1916, the Lodge purchased the lot where the current Lodge building is located. The building that had been on that site had been destroyed by the great fire of May 9, 1916 that devastated much of Main Street. However, it wasn't until 1933 that the building itself was finally erected. Much credit goes to Brother Guy Shufelt who did all the plumbing and heating installation. Brother George H. Keyes, a past Grand Master of North Dakota, was honored at the dedication for his contribution to the Lodge enabling the temple to be dedicated free of debt.
The Ellendale Lodge has been very active in the community since its inception in 1883. They have participated in the cornerstone dedications of both the Carnegie Hall building at the NI and the Dickey County Courthouse. In 1987, the Lodge started an annual baked Potaro dinner for the benefit of Ellendale High School students who participate in the Close Up Program. Through the first 19 years, the Lodge has raised over $37,000 for the Close Up students.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Ellendale - Tour of the Core City