Created By: Ithaca Heritage
This two-and-a-half-story house of frame construction was built prior to 1851 in the Greek Revival style. It is rectangular in plan, with two additions to the west and a small shed-roofed addition on the south façade. It has a wide cornice with returns on the primary façade. The ornate entryway stands out, with its eared molding, deeply recessed door, a fluted Ionic columns.
The property was bought by John Northrup in 1852. The house may have been built for him shortly beofre the purchase. Northrup was a businessman who owned Northrup & Sons, which sold a variety of items including mattresses and sewing machines. The family owned a number of properties in this area.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Henry St John Historical Walking Tour