Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
This distinctive three-bay barn was known historically as the "Steep Gable" barn due to the steep pitch of the roof and the central cross gable on the south side of the roof. The north side of the roof does not have a corresponding cross gable. The original barn dates from 1853 (which we know from the cornerstone), but additions have been made over time. The basement was originally divided into several horse and cow stalls and is now used for dairy operations. The interior also includes grain and hay chutes as well as ladders integrated with the framing timbers, which is a common feature in timber-framed barns.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Barns of Tompkins County