Created By: New Bedford Preservation Society
24 North Water Street, c. 1800
North Water Street once was New Bedford's "Wall Street.” Lined with shops, insurance agents, attorneys, banks, and brokers, North Water Street was the hub of the whaling port for merchants and businessmen. 24 North Water Street, also known as the Gilbert Russell Dry Goods Store was constructed by Russell in 1794, just south of his residence The 3-story Federal style building has a shallow hipped roof and a first-story storefront that flanks a multi-light centered entrance with sidelights and transom. By 1808 it was sold by Nicholas D. Greene to his son-in-law, William James. Greene, a tailor, first appears in New Bedford tax records in 1805, and had been living in Providence (1800 census). An advertisement of August 1809 indicated that Thomas Greene opened a drygoods store in the building. This three-story Federal style structure was occupied by an auctioneer, hat maker, and shoemaker, while the upper floors were used as a boarding house for many years. Today the building houses a restaurant and residences.
This point of interest is part of the tour: New Bedford Pathways: Tour #4 Waterfront Historic District