Created By: The Sandpoint Group
Built in 1906, this two story building was purpose built as a bank and dry goods store. Ole and Hannah Jennestad opened ‘Jennestad’s Good Clothing’ store in 1900 at 317 First Avenue opposite the Panida Theater. Many of Ole’s customers were loggers who couldn’t always get to town, so Ole traveled to the logging camps with his horse drawn wagon full of heavy wool working pants, flannel shirts and woolen socks to sell. In 1908, Ole partnered with his employee Chris Larson to open the Jennestad and Larson Clothiers located in this building. By 1940 the partnership had dissolved and Larson’s Men’s and Boys’ store occupied the site. Jennestad’s also remained in business in a new location and Ole was tasked with the responsibility of outfitting 750 prisoners of war located at Farragut Naval Station with boots and socks.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Sandpoint ...a walk through history.