Created By: New Bedford Preservation Society
330 Union Street and 324 Union
Both these dwellings are Italianate style with intersecting gables in the roof line, square plan, belvederes, bracketed eaves, round arched windows, and projecting elements at the entry. Both lots were purchased from James Arnold in 1856. The home at 324 was built for Nehemiah Waterman, a local auctioneer and amateur magician. The home at 330 Union Street was built for James Hammett, a dry-goods merchant. Hammett later described himself simply as a “broker” with an office in Boston, and eventually moved to that city, selling his home to a local grocer, Thomas Wilcox. The new owner was once the treasurer of the New Bedford Glass Company, predecessor of the Mount Washington Glass Company and Pairpoint Corporation.
This point of interest is part of the tour: New Bedford Pathways: Tour #1 New Bedford, More Than Colonials