Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
While many of the most notable homes in the Henry St. John neighborhood come from the 1870s-1880s, a large percentage of the homes are from a second growth period in the 1910s and 1920s. Ithaca was growing quickly during that time, and the old estates were slowly divided up for new residential infill development. Many of these, like this 1912 example, were in the Craftsman style, the "architecture for the everyman" popular in the early 20th century. 336 Geneva St features a side-gabled roof with an end-gable dormer that has flaring eaves and a tripartite window. The deep eaves of the main roof have exposed, decorative rafter tails and substantial wood brackets. The walls, porch piers and balustrades are clad in stucco. Also note the heavy, stuccoed fascia with a wide, low arch over the porch.
This house was built, owned and occupied by Edward Ingalls, who was an employee of the Ithaca Journal and later the manager of the Ithaca Realty Company.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Henry St John Historical Walking Tour