Created By: New Bedford Preservation Society
37 North Water Street, Rogers Building (now incorporated into the Whaling Museum) 1883-84, Victorian Style
The National Bank of Commerce erected this 2-story Renaissance Revival style building in 1883-1884 on the site of the old banking house built in 1833. Designed by the Boston architectural firm Peabody & Stearns, the National Bank of Commerce was the successor to the Bedford Bank, organized in 1803 as the first bank of Old Dartmouth. In 1812, the bank was liquidated, but in 1816 the Bedford Bank was resurrected as the National Bank of Commerce, which continued until its liquidation in 1898. In November 1895, the bank moved to a shop on Cheapside and the building was vacant until 1899 when it was purchased and occupied as an office by the New England Cotton Yarn Company, as noted by inscriptions above the second floor windows. In 1906, the building became the first home of the Old Dartmouth Historical Society for use as their headquarters after being donated by owner Henry Huttleston Rogers. The Whaling Museum has occupied the building from 1906 until the present.
This point of interest is part of the tour: New Bedford Pathways: Tour #4 Waterfront Historic District