Created By: Ruthmere
Elkhart was platted in 1832, encompassing about nine square blocks to the west of Main Street, which runs north and south on the west side of this History Hike. Havilah Beardsley purchased approximately 50 acres of land for $1,500 from Chief Pierre Moran who had been given the land through the Treaty of Chicago in 1812. The History Hike for Fitness is sponsored in part by the Salvation Army of Elkhart. The Salvation Army has been in Elkhart since 1905 providing food, utilities, rent and counsel. Through tornados, historic flooding, pandemic, recessions or poverty, the Army is always there to help.
This point of interest is part of the tour: History Hike For Fitness