Created By: Ithaca Heritage
Another example of the Stick/Eastlake style that was popular during Henry St. John's development, this circa 1870 home is notable for its steeply pitched roofs, lace-like molding around the cornice lines, and the decorative brickwork and corbelling on its north chimney. The property also features a Gothic Revival-style carriage house.
Like a number of other houses on this block, 405 South Albany was built by local developer Charles Titus (1832-1907). It was sold to his sister-in-law and her husband, Louisa Sprague (1829-1905) and Joseph Sprague (1826-1878), in 1874. The Spragues did not live at 405 but in the grander house at 412 South Albany. They sold this property in 1881 to grocer Pliny Hall (1811-1899) and William Teeter, a businessman.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Henry St. John District Historic Walking Tour