Created By: New Bedford Preservation Society
42 South Sixth Street, Tifereth Israel Synagogue, 1924, Byzantine style
Originally built as the Tifereth Israel Synagogue in 1924, it is the first religious edifice in which the Byzantine style of architecture predominates. The dominant feature of the Byzantine style was the planning and construction of the dome which became the most striking feature. This building continues to serve New Bedford's religious community as the home of a different denomination. Designed by local architect Nathaniel C. Smith 1924, this building served as a synagogue for almost 70 years before the congregation moved to a newer structure. Since that time, the building has been continuously used for religious purposes.
This point of interest is part of the tour: New Bedford Pathways: Tour 2 "Old Bedford Village"