Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
William Henry Miller designed this house for John Barden, a banker and one-time mayor of Ithaca.
The house was built in 1873 and combines three late nineteenth-century architectural styles.
Queen Anne influence shows in the asymmetrical massing, the diagonal corner treatment, the varied roof surfaces, and the diamond shaped windows in the gable ends of the house.
The decorative bargeboards, the horizontal banding between the first and second stories, and the tall paired second story windows with pointed moldings are of Gothic Revival design.
The front porch, with its paired columns suggests Colonial Revival influence. It was added between 1904 and 1910.
William Driscoll and his descendants owned the house from 1917 to 1967. William was one of the Driscoll brothers known for their work in masonry and contracting.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Lower East Hill Historic District