Created By: New Bedford Preservation Society
43 Seventh Street – Captain Edward Merrill House, Federal Style, 1825 to 1833
This Federal style, five-bay hipped roof house was built by Captain Edward Merrill between 1825 and 1833. Captain Merrill came to New Bedford from Maine to work in the whaling industry. He is best known as the developer and builder of “Merrill's Wharf”
located at the foot of Walnut Street. Not only did Captain Merrill construct the “Bourne Counting House” found on the wharf, but also the Baker-Robinson Oil Works candlehouse located across the street. Edward “Black Hawk” Robinson rented this house in 1834 and it is most likely the birthplace of his daughter, Henrietta “Hetty” Howland Robinson Green, known as the richest woman in America at the time of her death in 1916.
This point of interest is part of the tour: New Bedford Pathways: Tour 2 "Old Bedford Village"