Created By: New Bedford Preservation Society
44 North Water Street, Frederick Bryant-Lysander Washburn Building, c. 1825, Federal Style
The earliest reference to the Bryant-Washburn Building is in an advertisement of October 1825. The first known businesses in the building were Frederick Bryant's hardware store in one half and Lysander Washburn's dry goods store in the other half. The Bryant-Washburn building was also used as attorneys' offices, insurance offices, a mathematical instrument makers shop, an auctioneer, and commercial merchants office. Built in the Federal style and remodeled with Greek Revival details, the 2 ½-story building is articulated with corner pilasters and cornice returns that suggest the full pediment of a Greek temple. Today the building houses a Portuguese restaurant.
This point of interest is part of the tour: New Bedford Pathways: Tour #4 Waterfront Historic District