Created By: The Sandpoint Group
Dr. Ones F. Page built the Page Hospital, in 1907 in the current location of Bonner General Health. The three-floor building with a full basement housed 27 patients and had steam heat throughout with sewage connection through a private line to the creek. Dr. Page offered annual insurance at $12 per patient that covered “hospitalization, surgery, medicine and medical treatment with no additional costs.” Refurbished and renamed City Hospital in 1908 and without an elevator, patients were transported up the steep stairs on gurneys. The hospital was torn down in 1951 to make way for the new infirmary, purchased from Farragut Naval Station, which was shipped up the lake in sections on three barges.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Sandpoint ...a walk through history.