Created By: Coleman Memorial Museum
62 1st St. S. – Harvest Gardens (NW Corner of Lot) / 1st Roy & Guy Lynde Ford Garage
Immediately after he earned his degree at the University of Minnesota, Dr. Roy Lynde began his 50-plus year medial practice in Ellendale, working out of a small office in the top of the First National Bank building (now Starion). Shortly afterward, he and his brother Guy built a small garage on Railroad Avenue on the northwest corner of what is now Harvest Gardens. The slant-roofed garage, which was not much larger than a shack, advertised “Ford Autos” on the north and the south side.
Sometime after 1914, Roy and Guy built a new shop on the vacant lot where the NAPA building now stands. They conducted their business from there until 1923, when their brother Ralph Lynde bought them out.
Meanwhile, Roy and Guy did not give up their ambitions in the automotive business. In 1926, they completed an even larger structure on north Main Street, at the present location of the Sanford Clinic. Details about this building can be seen later on this tour.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Ellendale - Tour of the Core City