777 North Green Bay Road

West Park Walking Tour

777 North Green Bay Road

Lake Forest, Illinois 60045, United States

Created By: LFPF


This farmhouse has been the subject of various accounts about its origins. As the late Rollie Griffis, great grandson of William Atteridge, explained, at one time this was the house of Sarah Brewster Hodges, who was the daughter of Walter and Katherine Lancaster Brewster, who built the estate across Green Bay, Covin Tree, in 1907, with Howard Van Doren Shaw as the architect. Other stories heard are that the house was moved to this location and that at one time it was the house for a farm owned by a member of the McCormick family. An 1861 Lake County map in the Lake Forest College Library Special Collections shows that this land belonged to Thomas Atteridge. A map in an 1885 Lake County plat book just shows this as still part of the Thomas Atteridge farm. By the 1907 plat book for the county, prior to the Shaw Subdivision for the Young Men’s Club that year, Sunset Place was already platted, with this house’s location lot 65. The Brewster’s already owned the land across Green Bay to the west.

This point of interest is part of the tour: West Park Walking Tour


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.