Created By: New Bedford Preservation Society
82-86 Front Street, Seth Russell House, c. 1820-1860 Colonial Altered to Greek Revival
Moved to this site in 1980, the circa 1765 Seth Russell House originally sat at 15 North Water Street. This 5-bay ,2 ½ story wood structure has a first story storefront with a centrally located doorway with transom. Pilasters surround all the storefront windows and a molded projecting cap is between the first and second stories. The Russell House is believed to be one of the oldest structures in New Bedford and may have survived the fire set by the British Army in 1778. Seth Russell was the father of Seth, Jr. and Charles Russell, the builders of the Sundial Building. Today the Russell House is a commercial space housing the New Bedford Tattoo Company.
This point of interest is part of the tour: New Bedford Pathways: Tour #4 Waterfront Historic District